Hierarchy of front office
Wikipedia states that the hotel’s reception or hotel front office is where visitors first meet staff members at a business. The front office staff can answer any questions visitors may have and connect them with the right person within the hotel.
The Department of Hotel Front Office This department’s staff is easily visible to guests. The front desk staff manages the transactions between the hotel’s guests and the hotel. The front office staff greets guests and handles their needs.
The organisation chart for the Front Office department should give a clear view of the authority lines and communication channels within the department. The Front Office Director is responsible for leading a large hotel’s department. He is supported by the Reservation Manager, Front Desk Manager, and Revenue Manager.
Hotel Front Office Operations
There are two categories of Front Office Operations
These operations are visible to the guests of the hotel. The guests can interact and see these operations, hence, the name Front-House operations.
Few of these operations include:
- Interacting with guests to manage their accommodation requests.
- Registering guests and gathering the necessary information.
- Create a guest account using the FO accounting software.
- The guest is issued keys for accommodation.
- At check-out, collect guest payment
Front Office staff conducts these operations in the absence of the guests or when the guest’s involvement is not required.
These operations involve activities:
Determining the type of guest (fresh/repeat) by checking the database.
Ensuring the preferences of the guest to give a personal touch to the service.
Maintaining guest’s account with the accounting system.
Preparing the guest’s bill.
Collecting the balance amount of guest bills.
Auditing and generating reports.
Front Office Organisational chart
Number of staff working under the front office manager. The structure of the front office department depends on the size of the hotel business, the physical size of the hotel, and the hotel management policies.
Following is the general Hierarchy of front office department:
Overview of responsibilities of the different staff of front office department:
Front Office Manager
- All administrative tasks
- Hiring staff
- Giving appraisals
- Ensure smooth functioning of the department
- Make departments budget
- Forecast sales
- Monitor reservation systems to maximize occupancy, sales, and revenue
- Conduct department meetings
- Check arrivals, departures, and review all reports of the FO department.
Assistant Front Office Manager
- Supervise and coordinate day to day activities
- Assign duties
- Check daily reports, arrival lists, departure lists, VIP arrival, group arrivals
- Update FO manager about the happenings
- Coordinating with other departments like HK, sales, F&B
- To ensure smooth check-in and check-out
- Handle guest complaints
- Coordinating with travel counter and airlines
- Coordinates with the security department and ensure the safety and security of the hotel
- Ensure smooth functioning of the lobby
- Handle keys
Guest relation executive
The Guest relation executive duties and responsibilities include the following :
- Take feedback from guests
- Maintain guest feedback forms
- Maintain guest comment cards
- Handle VIP arrivals
- Ensure that guests leave with a positive image of the hotel
- Check any complaints and inform the department
- Receive and process reservation enquiry of guests
- Maintain the reservation records
- Share the information with other departments like sales F&B
- To prepare the expected arrival list, departure list for the day
- To fill registration cards, guest history card
- To give the information to the receptionist
- To prepare guest folder having reservation documents, emails and messages
- Greet the guests on arrival
- Confirm the identity of guests
- Fill the registration form
- Assign room
- Prepare room status report and check discrepancy with housekeeping
- Process request for check out
- Inform late checkout, early check out to HK department
- Give information about the hotel, facilities and the city to the guest
- Prepare guests’ bills
- Update guest transactions daily
- Exchange foreign currency
- Make closing balance account at end of shift
- Maintain house bank
- Answer the calls directly
- Direct incoming calls to the extension number, department, etc
- Answer the queries about the hotel and its services
- Log all wake-up calls
- Handling guest messages
- Handling outgoing calls
- Handling calls from the rooms/guests
- Handle guest luggage
- Transport the luggage to the room on arrival/guest check-in
- Put luggage tag on bags and luggage on arrival
- Escort guest to the room and tell them about the room, service directory and function of equipment in the room
- Deliver mail, message and package to the rooms
Front Office Responsibilities
- Coordinates the activities of FO department.
- Create guests’ database
- Assist in the linkage between management and front-office employees.
- Do budgeting functions.
- Plan for future and present needs.
- You can schedule the tasks for front office employees.
- Problems with guests can be solved quickly, efficiently, and courteously.
- All reports, including the night auditors’ report, are reviewed.
- To ensure maximum sales and profit, coordinate with sales and marketing teams.
- The hotel’s front desk staff deals with guests.
- Making a lasting impression on guests’ minds.
- Ensure satisfaction for our guests
Qualities Of Front Office Staff
- Pleasing personality
- Smiling face
- Positive attitude
- Hard working
- Good Personal hygiene
- Good communication skills
- Calm, courteous
- Good memory